Sunday, October 5, 2008

Levi




No, I am not changing my name. This morning I had the opportunity to teach our youth from Luke 5:27-28. I had intended to use more verses but discovered these words said plenty. You might remember it is the story of Jesus stopping by Levi (Matthew)'s booth. He said,"Follow me" and Levi did just what he was told. While there were several applications to these verses I was impressed that if Jesus could and would call Levi he would and could call anyone.

He spoke to me late in my senior year and asked me to consider being a youth pastor after years of thinking I was going to be on the high seas studying the ocean and hanging out with the Cousteau family. It was a simple and non-dramatic invitation. I had grown up in a ministry family but not seriously considered that as a career. Jesus showed me differently.

This morning I had the opportunity to tell a room full of students how God can use them no matter what their career choice may be. I also encouraged them to count being a youth pastor, missionary, pastor or other ministry leadership position as a valid choice among the options. It certainly was for me.

1 comment:

  1. Doug, Truly enjoyed reading what you shared with your students Sunday. Did you know your Uncle Jim felt called to missions as a young boy?

    Jere 29:11 (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

    ReplyDelete