Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Good Read

I love being around college students. In their classes they are often referred to books or ideas that run under the mainstream radar. Having two college students in our own house gives us opportunity to hear about the newest resources.
Our son recently came home from Gordon College and brought us the little book, "The Illumined Heart," by Frederica Mathewes-Green. The book really is small at only 102 pages but she hits hard in asking and answering the question, "Why are modern Christians so indistinguishable from everyone else?" In addition, she offers many other questions in dealing with the topics of prayer, fasting, repentance, relationships with others and comparing our faith to that of the early Christians.

In this frantic Western culture I find myself often perplexed on how to apply the disciplines of a vibrant faith into my everyday life. It is easy to say "that was then and this is now." Mathewes-Green proposes there is no difference when "we no longer live but Christ lives in us." It's more about me walking with Christ than He walking with me.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recommendation Doug. Jim is always looking for good books to read. I have already placed an order for this one. Sounds like one I would enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete